It can be tiresome and boring to consume the same breakfast every morning. A person can only be creative with breakfast eggs and toast in so many different ways. Unless you're on holiday, you also don't have hours to spend baking fresh bread and rolling out pastry dough in the mornings. Breakfast is ideally a meal that wakes up your taste buds, hearty to keep you going, and quick to assemble. A puff pastry breakfast is a delicious and quick breakfast for a big family or a hosted group brunch with friends.
This recipe will show you two ways to make the same breakfast puff pastry. One way just requires an extra step of cutting the pastry dough into squares while the other keeps the entire pastry dough intact for you to cut after baking. Which way you choose is up to you depending on how you want to serve breakfast.
This page may contain affiliate marketing links, which means I may gain monetarily from certain link clicks at no extra cost to you.
Puff pastry dough is fantastic to bake with because it is...
Versatile - it can be used to make breakfast, appetisers, desserts, and snacks.
Quick - bakes fully in 20-25 minutes.
Inexpensive - whether it is store-bought or made at home.
Texture - has that crunchy texture no one can resist.
What's great about this recipe is that it takes only 10 minutes to prepare the ingredients and the rest of the time is just baking time in the oven. It's nearly a set-it-and-forget-it type of recipe, which is my favourite kind.
Ready Made Pastry Dough
It’s your choice to make the pastry dough from scratch or purchase it at the store. To make it from scratch, it requires just four ingredients (water, flour, salt, and butter) to make, so it’s pretty simple. Yet it requires quite a bit of elbow grease and time since it needs to chill in the refrigerator for one hour in order for the dough to stay cold and make the puff pastry puff up when baked.
Being lactose-intolerant and strapped for time in the mornings, I prefer using ready-made pastry dough you can find in the freezer section of the grocery store. Check the ingredients before purchasing, but I can usually find ready-made pastry dough that is free from dairy.
Be aware that ready-made pastry dough usually comes frozen and requires thawing in the refrigerator for at least 6-8 hours. That is why it is recommended that the dough be thawed overnight.
Roll Out: Do I Need To Roll Out The Dough?
You can roll the dough out. If you do roll out the ready made pastry dough, try not to over-handle it. You don’t want to lose the puffing of the puff pastry. After rolling out the pastry dough, you may need to place it back in the refrigerator since the puff factor relies heavily on the dough being cold.
The egg wash is necessary for a beautiful appearance to the pastry. The egg yolk portion will add shine to your pastry while the egg whites will help brown the crust.
Components to the Filling
To balance the richness of the puff pastry, ideally a savoury protein should be added to the filling such as cooked bacon, cooked ham, cooked turkey, or even vegan sausage. Without the savoury part of the filling, the breakfast puff pastry can seem a bit rich but also a bit bland.
Cheese can add savouriness to the filling and also provide a richness while acting as a delicious glue for the rest of the filling to stay in one piece.
Either scramble the eggs prior to baking it in the puff pastry or crack a whole medium-sized egg on top of the filling. It’s tasty either way, but the whole egg makes for more of a picture-perfect pastry.
Preparing The Puff Pastry
1. Cut the thawed puff pastry dough in equal squares. I was able to cut mine into 12 squares.
2. Lightly brush half of the squares (six) with water. Then, stack one dry square on top of a wet square.
3. Brush the egg wash (after whisking one medium-sized egg in a bowl) onto the top side of each dry pastry dough square.
4. Bake the squares in the oven at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes until slightly golden in colour.
5. Remove the pastry from the oven and cut out squares into the top layer of the pastry. Then, flatten the dough of the square-shaped hole area.
6. Fill the hole with your fillings of choice. I chose Taylor ham, lactose-free cheddar cheese, and cracked an egg on top. If you prefer vegan options, choose a vegan breakfast protein, coconut milk-based cheese, and a vegan egg.
7. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the egg whites are no longer runny. If you want the egg yolk to cook solid, keep the pastry in the oven for the full 20 minutes. If you prefer the egg yolk to be runny, shave off about two minutes of bake time.
Save This Pin For Later:
Another Version of the Breakfast Puff Pastry
Instead of creating small squares in the beginning, another alternative to making the breakfast puff pastry is skipping the first two steps above.
Lightly brush the egg wash on the topside of the entire pastry dough.
2. Bake the dough at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the oven, cut out a rectangle in the centre of the top layer of the pastry dough, and flatten that part of the dough. Then, fill the centre hole will the fillings of your choice.
4. Bake the pastry for another 20 minutes until it is golden brown and the egg whites have set.
5. Cool for a couple of minutes, but serve while warm.
High Protein Breakfast
If you want to make this a protein-dense breakfast, change up the filling with some spinach, shredded turkey, and egg. But make sure those ingredients are seasoned well or the pastry may lack the savouriness it needs to have more depth in flavour.
Make It a Family Activity
if you have little ones in the house, have they join in the baking by allowing your children to prepare and add in the fillings. They will be contributing to the recipe and feel a sense of accomplishment as you consume the finished product together.
Save this PIN this for later
A delicious and unique breakfast no longer has to be strenuous and time-consuming. Using less than ten ingredients and less than an hour of your time, a tasty puff pasty breakfast can be ready for you and your family or a group brunch gathering. This breakfast dish is guaranteed to be devoured and enjoyed by everyone. Attempt being creative and changing the filling to make it into your own style.